Some call it the Turkish Star Wars. Others call it the worst movie ever made. Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam. The film, written by and starring Cüneyt Arkın, will literally blow your mind, though the reasons for which are clearer upon viewing. In our experience, it is much easier (and more rewarding) to watch this film with the aid of alcohol, so we’ve come up with a drinking game– play along at home!
Take a shot every time…
- one of our heroes jump-kicks someone.
- a man in a furry costume filming a fight scene in the desert somehow manages not to succumb to heat stroke.
- the Indiana Jones theme music plays.
- something sexist is said.
- an arm gets ripped off.
- you recognize a clip ripped off from Star Wars.
- the earth is protected by a shield made of brain molecules.
Take two shots whenever…
- the heroes get a golden weapon.
- the villains are unable to take someone’s brain.
- staring at someone reeeeally intently is used as a substitute for sex.
- “The Magician” appears basically out of nowhere.
- a ham-fisted philosophical reference to Islam is made.
- something seems lost in translation, but then you realize that, no, that’s what they actually meant to say.
Take a big ol’ swig off the bottle when…
- we exceed “the space speed.”
- someone karate chops a rock in half.
- someone is stabbed with an arm. Yes, you read that correctly.
- an entire scene is ripped off from the original Star Wars.
- a superweapon is created by melting down all the other weapons.
- the hero dips his hands in superweapon juice.
- a man saves the world, as in the translated title of the movie, “The Man Who Saved the World.”
It’s time to stop drinking when…
- this film makes any goddamned sense.
“DÜNYAYI KURTARAN” ADAM WEISHAUPT is a Professor of Law at the University of Ingolstadt. His hobbies include rationalism, masonry, and opposition to Kantian idealism.